Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby[_3_] Stubby[_3_] is offline

Default Grading yard?

On Jul 8, 10:13*am, songbird wrote:
Stubby wrote:
There must be some decaying trees and brush at several points in my
yard. * This has resulted in gullies that feel terribly unsafe on my
tractor/mower. *So, I want to fill them in to level the lawn that will
be planted over the fill.

* do you know the history of the property
well enough that it is truly buried
trees/brush?

* until you know what is under there it
makes no sense to put fill over it. *you
may have to keep doing it again and again.

* get the shovel out and do some digging
and find out what you have down there.

* if your area is prone to sink holes,
underground caverns or streams, has
abandoned coal mines, etc. proceed with
caution or hire a professional.

* songbird

Thanks for the response, songbird.

This property was woods and farm until the whole housing development
was built in 1970. There are something like 1500 similar homes in the
area. Neighbors have told me there was indeed a lot of trees and
rocks that were simply burried to get rid of them. That practice is
now against the local building code.

I'm not going to dig down to see what's there unless I can borrow a
power excavator to do it with. And, if an application of gravel
lasts another 25 years, that's OK with me. Further, it is unlikely
that I will be around in 25 years to worry about it.