Old 15-07-2011, 06:05 AM
Samuel Samuel is offline
Registered User

Location: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv Bob View Post
Got a dumb question.... I have an electric mower that uses two 12V lead acid batteries wired in series to give 24V. The batteries are marked 18Ah. Cost is around $100 for one 12v, or $140 for 2 in series, including shipping.

For the same money or less, I can get two std 12v car batteries and end up with more amp hours to boot, which would be good for a mower. Heavier to push around, but that's not a problem.

I don't know nuthin about how amp-hours work - reckon this would be a good idea? Anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?

Bob
For batteries Lithium Ion is the way forward for longevity and usage time. The batteries sound expensive and I wouldn't like to be forking out for new ones after a very cold winter which can kill off a lead acid type battery.
Check out this range of lawnmowers which are fully automatic, use lithium ion batteries, recharge themselves and cut your lawn every other day so you there are no clippings, they are all mulched back into the lawn.
Frees up a lot of time for you as well! Lawn Mowers - Robot Lawnmowers They are little lawn terminators!