Old 08-08-2011, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
LilAbner LilAbner is offline

Default Life after conifers

On 8/8/2011 4:51 PM, nfr wrote:
I'm in the process of clearing the garrden of my new house of a number
of conifers. They (Leylandii or similar) have been there a reasonable
amount of time. I'd guess from what I know about the propery about 50
years. Trees are approx 30 - 40 ft tall. Trunks up to 18"

I want to initially plant grass where the conopy of the tree was, but
imagine the soil is going to need some significant conditioning first.

I've raked away alot of the old decayed leaf matter but still lots of
fiberous material.

Can anyone recommend what to add and how. I was thinking of rotovating
farmyard manure in, if I can get through the hidden roots?

Thanks

Nick

Check with the Co Op or County Extension Agent for a soil analysis.
Use to be something like 5.00.
Probably going to need a good dose, of lime and certainly fertilizer. imo