Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Life after conifers

nfr wrote the following:
I'm in the process of clearing the garrden of my new house of a number
of conifers. They (Leylandii or similar) have been there a reasonable
amount of time. I'd guess from what I know about the propery about 50
years. Trees are approx 30 - 40 ft tall. Trunks up to 18"

I want to initially plant grass where the conopy of the tree was, but
imagine the soil is going to need some significant conditioning first.

I've raked away alot of the old decayed leaf matter but still lots of
fiberous material.

Can anyone recommend what to add and how. I was thinking of rotovating
farmyard manure in, if I can get through the hidden roots?

Thanks

Nick

The area under the conifers is probably loaded with acidic soil, you'll
have to check the PH of the soil and add limestone if it is below 7 PH.
(I don't really know, but I wonder if swimming pool PH+ (plus) additives
would work?)
Wait until the end of growing season to add the limestone so it has time
to neutralize the soil before the next growing season.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY