Old 08-08-2011, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How bad is bad?

In article ,
Martin wrote:

I saw the German police suppressing a student demonstration in
Frankfurt in the late 1960s. I think the same sort of show of
overwhelming force would soon stop what is going on in London at the
moment.

I suggest studying a bit of history. These riots are an inevitable
consequence of the policies of the past 25 years, which is when
some of us started predicting them. I wasn't expecting them to
explode quite like this, but was not in the slightest surprised.
Whether or not using massive violence to suppress them worked,
it would assuredly not stop them recurring. The only solution
is to remove the root causes, rather than fuel them (which is
the current policy).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.