Old 09-08-2011, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

On 2011-08-08 18:30:38 +0100, Baz said:

Gordon H wrote in
:

In message , Baz
writes

This man is now in custody.
Baz

Good news.

I went to the court this morning to see that monster.

He has so many things against him in his past and with loads of
convictions, including violence and he is remanded in custody.

The a.hole has form including a jail sentence from which he was

released
with conditions to return. He never complied.Bloody hell! Why?

Baz

I don't know what that means? He was supposed to hand himself over if
he re-offended or was caught doing so? He was supposed to 'sign in' at
the local police station once a day/week/month? Whatever it was, he
doesn't sound like the type who's going to be too bothered about
complying with anything. But I'm so glad he's been caught and we can
hope he'll go to jail for enough time to allow all of you to organise a
neighbourhood watch scheme that's effective and enough to put him off
trying it on again.

I'm getting quite irritable, not to say bloody annoyed, at reading
criticism of the police handling of the current riots. Firstly,
whatever they do, they seem to be damned by doing too much by one side
or not enough by another. Secondly, people complain about not seeing
enough police when 'incidents' occur. Well, hello, moan about this in
'peacetime' and not when it's too late and moan to the politicians who
advocate soft sentencing and going easy on users of drugs. Thirdly,
the rioters we're seeing now aren't doing this because someone's
holding a gun to their heads, they're doing it because they want to.
And tonight, live on tv, we saw transmissions of the police having
things hurled at them by yobs breaking into vehicles and trying to
stove in windows in their spare time. It makes me mad to hear people
moaning that the police do nothing when they have to stand there and
take that kind of treatment. The police barely have time to draw
breath before they're abused and assaulted yet again. A little less
bleeding heart and a bit more "we won't put up with this from anyone"
on the part of everybody seems to be required.

Sacha,
According to what was said in court he was given 2 years in 2008 for
Actual Bodily Harm. During his sentence he was moved to an open prison
because of good behaviour. He later earned the right to have a few days
at home with the promise of him returning to prison to complete his
sentence. He didn't return.
I was talking to an official at court and he said that a 2 year sentence
means 10 months of actual prison. The reasons I didn't quite understand
but a sentence is cut in half, in this case to 1 year and he would have
the last 2 months at home with electronic tagging. A bit confusing, but
that is what I understood.
I really hope you understand that I am not criticising the police, far
from it. The police caught him and it is the do-gooders we call
magistrates who are clearly at fault. They think leniency is going to
work for a very very nasty individual who has easilly fooled them with a
bit of charm and a sob story.

Baz