Old 09-08-2011, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default How bad is bad?

In message , Kay
writes

On 09/08/2011 09:59, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

I know that I'm glad I don't live near the sort of person who's too
cheap to use a real deterrent, hoping the scumbags will "do a neighbour
instead."

Nothing to do with being cheap. If your house is less defended than your
neighbours, they will go for you. So you make sure your house is better
defended. You will probably advise your neighbours to do the same - so the
burglaries will then happen on the estate down the road instead. The fact
that you don't know the people on the estate merely disguises that what
you're really doing is not reducing crime but displacing it elsewhere.

Spot on! I tried to start a Homewatch group on my road, and posted
about 100 leaflets through the 100 letterboxes.
Ironically, at least three of the houses had front doors left ajar . . .

Of the 100, only 19 people attended a meeting addressed by the police.
I was given Homewatch stickers in bulk and I once again typed out an
invitation to contact me for a sticker and to express interest in a
further meeting, and posted it through every door.

I had one response from an elderly gentleman who limped to my house to
tell me, and a phone call from a lady who said she could do stuff on her
computer if I wanted. :-)

I resolved to step up my own defences and forget the rest....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply