Old 11-08-2011, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Huge wasp nest - help!

David Combs wrote the following:
In article ,
willshak wrote:

Wait until dark, get a wide paint scraper, put on a jacket and gloves,
then open the top of that window and scrape the nest off and let it fall
to the ground.
Leave it there and stay away from it until the next night, then roll it
into a garbage bag and crush it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

sounds pretty bold to me. Suppose you're nervous while doing it,
and screw up, and the nest falls into the room, or something.

I think for $125 or a bit more you can buy a professional
anti-bee suit. Maybe even $200.

Also consider that these Africanized bees keep moving further
north. Suppose you get a nest of those sometime?

Not that I'm about to try this, but my father, out in West
Texas, when there was a yellow-jacket nest up under the eves
of the house, would get a long pole, wire some newspapers around
the end, light 'em, and with big flame going would quickly
stick it up under the next -- all the yellow-jackets would
fall down to the ground, and he'd stomp them dead.

How long did it take for the fire department to get there to put out the
house fire?
And you said my idea was bold. Maybe so, but at least it was not stupid.
BTW, the message you responded to is a month old.

And he'd do that in the middle of the day -- no waiting til
night or early morning.

David