Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Japanese Beetles vs. my lawn

In
" wrote:

On Aug 9, 9:52*am, Bert Hyman wrote:
"."
wrote:

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
Japanese Beetles have finally made it to Minnesota and they're
tearing up the garden big time.

Conventional wisdom says it's a waste of time to treat the lawn
for grubs unless you can convince everybody who lives within 3
miles to do the same.

First time I've ever heard that and don't know where it
came from.

In the context of Japanese beetles, everywhere.

Japanese beetles will travel several miles to find food, so treating
just my own lawn won't eliminate enough of the pests to make a
difference.

If you already know the answer, then why did you come here asking
the questions? Obviously you don't understand the lifecycle of
the insect you're dealing with. Here's a clue: Adult Japanese
beetles that travel miles don't destroy your lawn. The larvae of a
variety of beetles, commonly referred to as grubs, do.

Did you even bother to read my original post? The specific question was:

"However, will the grubs do damage to the lawn itself? Should I treat
the lawn just for the sake of the lawn?"

Are you, in fact, saying that the grubs will, in fact, do significant
damage to the lawn?

Are you, in fact, saying that it might be worth my while to treat my
lawn for the grubs just for the sake of the lawn, even though it won't
do anything to reduce the number of beetles that I find in the garden?

So far, I've seen no evidence of lawn damage that can be attributed to
the beetle larvae, but this is the first year we've seen more than a
handful of the beetles.

--
St. Paul, MN