Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying

puppilup wrote:
I posted a thread to this site a few weeks ago "New Turf Lawn Dying? -
Help please" and sadly no reply yet.
http://tinyurl.com/3ttk6xm

I am in the UK, but good lawn advice must surely apply the world over.
Can any of you good experts please, please share some of your lawn
recovery experience with me ?!

Can someone please help with my new 6 week old turf lawn which is not
recovering despite laying, watering and mowing exactly as recommended
by the UK renowned turf supplier Rowlawn. Except, .....I made one big
mistake.......... I went on holiday! In those 2 weeks it rained a lot
and grew too long (6"). When it was cut back all the lush green grass
disappeared and I am now left with a thin, sparse and dead looking
lawn. In the last 2 weeks since that it has showed little signs of
recovering. Am I being too impatient and it will recover as Rowlawn
say?

This is all explained in depth in the URL link above to my original
thread. The pictures below give a good indication of the issue. Your
help is much needed and appreciated. Many thanks. Puppilup

When you cut it from 6" to 2", you basically removed all of the grass leaf,
leaving only stem. Then you cut it even shorter, doing more damage. From now on,
cut it no shorter than 3-3 1/2" for the rest of the summer. The longer grass
will shade the ground, reducing water loss. The edges growing greener suggest
that the rest might need more water for the recovery, but you want to water
with more water less often to train the roots to grow deeper for a more grought
resistant lawn.