Old 18-08-2011, 05:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying

puppilup wrote:
Pat, Trader4, Lannerman & BobF - Thank you all for such helpful and
mostly very consistent advice. Apologies for a delayed response, I
have been waiting to report progress as either 'no improvement' or
'the lawn is recovering', which it is - recovering!!
A week ago it looked doubtful, it would recover properly. I had
visions of having to virtually start again as I watched it die! In
just the last few days though it is showing a great improvement. I
cut it on the highest mower setting, about 2.5" - see photos
attached..
Filename: BadGrass_3.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14393|
Filename: BadGrass_4.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14394|
Filename: BadGrass_5.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14395|
Filename: BadGrass_6.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14396|
Filename: BadGrass_7.JPG |
Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14398|

You have done good. You will want to lessen the frequency of watering at some
time - More water less ofter will help the roots grow deeper. Don't rush it
though. A fall fertilizer is the most important one, so do that. The spring
growth will then restore it the rest of the way. During the spring growth, you
will need to mow more often, maybe every 4-5 days. Ferrous sulphate will kill
moss. Garden lime will reduce the acidity that encourages it.