Old 21-08-2011, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

C. Leach wrote the following:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in
my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the
runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that
helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half
weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and
went to work.

You have a lawn, but no lawn mower?

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually
a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low.

I usually check behind the mower to see what's happening to the grass. I
would have noticed that it was set too low before I got a couple of feet
into the job.

It also
looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas of turf in a few
places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some areas of yellow have
now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so
bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my own
fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf. In
addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only just
found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can do?
I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will return
to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and really
don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly
appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,

Chris.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY