Old 20-04-2003, 07:24 AM
Tyggergirl

Default use eggshells for calcium additive or as substrate?

Not to divert attention from the original post regarding reef tanks but I'd
be interested to hear "real-life" experiences on using egg shells, too. My
swords are suffering from a calcium deficiency and adding calcium
supplements from health food stores is an option but I'd like to hear more
on egg shells. This is what I found when I googled
rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants:

"Egg shells should be soaked in water for two days with several water
changes to soak away all the albumen before adding to tank. They dissolve
very slowly, but should add to GH and KH a bit. They are mostly calcium
carbonate. There may be a little magnesium in them, but not much."

That sounds like a raw egg was used but has anyone used a boiled egg? I
tried boiled eggs but had problems removing all of the membrane tissue since
it was coming off in layers for me. I also read that a chemist used a
crucible to burn the shell down to a different calcium compound (which btw
is supposed to be more soluble). That made me wonder if baking or
microwaving might help get rid of the organic material attached to the egg
shells.

thanks!
eliza

--
(for personal replies, please remember to delete "nospam")
"Aaron_TekRecycle.com" wrote in message
I was just wondering... has anyone ever tried to use eggshells as a source
of calcium for reef tanks?

If you have what have you tried and how did it work?

thanks
Aaron

--
Tek Recycle