Old 26-08-2011, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Zukes not fully developing

"songbird" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Paul M. Cook wrote:
My zuke plant, I only have the one, is acting oddly. So far it has
started 4 zukes. Two I hand pollinated the others were bee
pollinated. In each case they grew to about 4 inches in length and
then just stop. After 10 days I cut them all off as they had not
grown an inch in a week. Last year they grew an inch a day. What
could be going on here?

What do the flower ends look like? I am wondering if you have atypical
blossom end rot.

The flowers are very large and perfect. I have three new ones on there
now.
None have grown a quarter inch in the last several days. All are about 3
inches long. One is turning yellow.

i would guess that you need a different
source of pollen. some plants don't set
fruit very well when self pollinated.

Hmmm ... last year I grew Fordhooks. This year Black Beauty. Could it be
the variety of zucchini?

Paul