Old 28-08-2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Zukes not fully developing

"songbird" wrote in message
Paul M. Cook wrote:
Hmmm ... last year I grew Fordhooks. This year Black Beauty. Could it
be
the variety of zucchini?

i'm not really sure, but it could also be
a timing thing too. some plants/blooms will
not be able to be pollinated unless certain
conditions are met and i don't have a good
description anywhere of what a pollen accepting
zucchini squash blossom looks like in comparison
to one that is not (i have such a description
for tulips, but that doesn't help you ).

you may want to do some experimenting and
see what seems to work. like, pollinating
within a few hours of the bloom opening, and
then trying again a day later, and then waiting
another day and try again. try some early
in the morning, others midday, others evening,
etc. for temperature. no need to be shy,
a normal squash blossom needs many visits by
bees before they are pollenated properly.
that could hold for zucchinis also...

sorry i can't be a more specific help but
my reference isn't precise and i'm not online
much these days to nose about.

I'm thinking zukes are really weird. First they open their blossoms in the
early morning, seems just one time, then close up and die unless pollinated.
I know I pollinated them in the later part of the day and I had to tease the
blossoms open again. The stigmae had all closed up by then. So I am
thinking when you pollinate them is important. Looks like no zukes this
year. None are growing past 3 inches and now all I have is female flowers.

Paul
songbird