Old 29-08-2011, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Zukes not fully developing

Paul M. Cook wrote:
I'm thinking zukes are really weird. First they open their blossoms in the
early morning, seems just one time, then close up and die unless pollinated.
I know I pollinated them in the later part of the day and I had to tease the
blossoms open again. The stigmae had all closed up by then. So I am
thinking when you pollinate them is important. Looks like no zukes this
year. None are growing past 3 inches and now all I have is female flowers.

i looked more today and found a few references
about timing, any that did said pollinate in the
morning. so yes, i'd guess your timing was off
and that was the problem. your early bees were
not buzzing.

songbird