Old 28-08-2011, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Aquaponics in the UK

"Dave Hill" wrote

Janet wrote:
haroldhrsays...
aquaponicworld wrote:
Hi I'm trying to promote the use of Aquaponic gardening in the UK.
The
growing of fish and plants together without the use of soil is big in
the US and Austrailia but only starting here in the uk. The benefits
of
aquaponics mean that you don't use fertiliser, pesticides or as much
water and the organic food you grow tastes wonderful. Because of the
manner in which it is used it opens up gardening to many more
people -
ie you don't need a back garden.
I'm basically offering up my help if anyone needs sone advice

Aha. Sounds interesting. I have a fishpond with koi. You are saying
that I could use the water from the pond for irrigation of my
vegetable&7 top up the pond with tap water?

No, he's saying you could grow vegetables in the fish pond.

Grow the veg on sheets of polystyrene and let the roots grow down
through holes into the water below

Ah, a spawning mat for the Koi, good idea, not sure what state the roots
will be in after.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.