Old 09-09-2011, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Organic Gardening in a Hotter, Drier World

On Sep 7, 11:22 pm, songbird wrote:
Gunner wrote:
Billy wrote:
Tropic of Chaos: Climate Change and the New Geography of Violence by
Christian Parenti (Jun 28, 2011)

Gunner writes
What a poorly written piece you present as evidence of organic best
practices. Do you really know about the hydrology or even the geology
of the area in this cherry picked book writers sociologist article?

To which the Birds reply:

oh well, better luck next time,

songbird

Better luck, Bird? You got a C- on your test questions and a D for
the essay defending stupid think. You generalize but you have no clue
as to the specific regional area billy's book writer is talking
about. Kinda like billy BSing about Mann and Biochar.

Africa? Well if you’re talking about the fact the two areas were once
one? Ok. If you’re talking about the effects of the Trade Winds from
Africa on that region? Ok. But the two drought/people are not
anywhere near similar. As for the cattle and disease problems unless
you wish to just split hairs on white man's guilt not relevant.

Still you do the math; 1.2 mil people living on very eco fragile land
that would realistically support 500K subsiding with assistance of a
government seed and stipend program. The water used in the primitive
drip irrigation the Catholic church is “translating” as some Organic
salvation is coming from some of the 7000 dams usually filled to ~50%
cap., most dry up in the many droughts they experience or some of the
many wells drilled by the government. The underground damming? Yes,
An old trick used in many lands for subsidence farming and basic
survival of a small number of people. A basic desert survival
technique I also taught . Try looking up the qanat for one such
trick. Farml’s one statement about her Country’s Aborigines using
such a trick is most likely true in their world of living off the
land but again, relevant how? I think there is a better land/people
distro as well as a different societal culture there.

It is a given that area of Brazil will continue to experience more
severe droughts as well as erratic dry seasons in their march to
desertification. Oh another small detail, much of the water is
trucked in the varying dry spells and droughts. So much for reducing
the carbon footprint. As for the three sisters adaptation for ground
cover? Temporary as best. Building the soil bank. Ok! Still how long
will that last w/o water in that type sand, little to no clay
there. I will assume you’re not very familiar with desert life and
primitive cultures. As Farml also inferred you can get a lot of
information off of the internet these days, just how much is true. I
much prefer dot.edu rather than the many book writers living off of
“we are the world”.coms that billy pretends is organo.

As for your do you?

Yes, I really do bird, geology/hydrology is in the family. My
interest was in archaeology and anthropology but was talked out of it
by a Prof before I went the military route. No regrets, all set up &
retired @ 48, been enjoying life since. I've lived in in three
countries and every state west of the Mississippi before I was 11
because of geology. Now days, 4 continents and 15-16 countries. My
interest today in anthropology, particularly in the Amerindians and
desert living stems from that. Hence my interest in hydroponics
also. I really have a pretty good idea of how the hunter gatherer
societies work (ed) than many and how the transition to farming takes
place. This area is just delaying the inevitable. Man is but a dust
speck on Nature's watch.

But for you and billy et al? You boys ever actually been anywhere,
done anything or seen anything besides the day trips on the Internet
to give you actual life experiences? As for the inference from the
Aussie that Americans are not well schooled in worldly affairs and
her continuous inference that Americans are stupid SOBs??? Well I
would hope she realizes billy is but one of 380 Mil and pretty much of
a Walter Mitty. You ? Don't know but I assume you have not traveled
from from your nest either . Perhaps Farml is very well traveled and
properly papered, yet I seriously doubt her myopic view is based on
much more than her internet travels she talks about.

so Birds, I hope you also have good luck in your next time.

Gunner