Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Dave Millman

Default Cladophora aegagropila/Marimo Balls

LeighMo wrote:

I got mine from www.floridadriftwood.com more than a month ago. They are
just a 3" green ball that occasionally moves around the tank when the
bottom feeders hit it.

Speaking of bottom feeders...do algae eaters eat this algae? Would I have
worry about my snails or SAEs or Amano shrimp eating it? They sometimes eat
the java moss, but so far, it's growing faster than they can eat it. I'm not
sure Cladophora would.

Ancistrus, ottos, SAEs, amano shrimp don't eat it. It looks more like moss than
algae. They roll around the bottom of the tank occasionally, which can be
startling. They don't accumulate any more mulm than java moss does.

All in all, pretty innocuous. One of our dogs did get pretty interested when he
saw a ball rolling around on the bottom of the tank, though!