Old 25-09-2011, 06:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lawn issues

jacs_bill wrote:
Hi,

Bit a of a newbie gardener. I laid a lawn in july, it looked great
when first down and the strips seemed to knit together pretty
quickly. I was giving it plenty of water a left it several weeks
before cutting. Since then I've not been cutting it too short and
have gving it water if it hasn't rained for a few days.

Anyway, the grass seems to be getting weaker, becoming brown in
patches and if you grasp it it rips out really easily. Also, it's a
small space and FULL of worms casts, which just seem to be killing
off patches. It's also under an apple tree and a fair few leaves and
apples fall on it, but I have been raking them off regularly too.

What am I doing wrong Any advice appreciated - woud like the lawn
to last longer than a few months!

Maybe watering too often, which can result in a shallow root structure. If you
give it more time between waterings, the roots will grow deeper to reach water.
Watering more at a time and less often is better, but you have to made a smooth
transition to give the roots time to grow.

Or, you could have a problem with grubs or other pests.