Old 28-09-2011, 10:21 AM
hellomabel hellomabel is offline
Registered User

Location: Cornwall

Thanks for the helpful answer. To take your points individually:

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
My late mother had a similar problem with a black mulberry, likewise grown in the west country in the middle of a lawn - the canker got in to lawnmower damage, and the tree just never got going, and since in the end it was going backwards it got chucked out.
In my defence there is a grass-free mulched ring around the tree so it's not due to lawnmower damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Bearing that in mind, ie, unless you do something drastic it is probably doomed anyway
If I do need to chuck it, would it be safe to plant another one in the same hole or do canker spores linger in the soil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
what I would do would be to try drastic pruning to see if it would renovate. ...It is pretty nearly pruning time for it anyway, as soon as it is dormant in late autumn, so you may as well wait another month or two to get there, rather than risk heavy bleeding by pruning it now. Make sure you cut well back beyond the canker.
So prune in, say, November? And should I apply anything to the stumps to stop any bleeding? I'm assuming there's no point in giving the tree a feed at the same time as it will be asleep, but what about in the spring?

Thanks again for the helpful info.