Old 28-09-2011, 10:33 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomabel View Post
So prune in, say, November? And should I apply anything to the stumps to stop any bleeding? I'm assuming there's no point in giving the tree a feed at the same time as it will be asleep, but what about in the spring?
Prune once you can tell it is dormant, because the leaves are properly falling off, whenever that is. In mild autumn, it may take a little longer. No hint of autumn on mine yet, we are still picking berries...

RHS says don't do anything about any bleeding, but pruning in the dormant period it shouldn't bleed much.

In general mulberry trees shouldn't need feeding. With that Victorian hardcore, and deep tree roots, there should be plenty of good stuff for it down there. And in general one doesn't feed sickly plants.

I think if you are replacing a tree with another one of the same type, it is always a good idea to plant it somewhere slightly different.