Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM
jacs_bill jacs_bill is offline
Registered User

Thanks for the replies and advice, I have been slowly giving it more water less frequently, and watering it first thing AM which I wasn't doing before.

I'll also try fertiliser, it was laid on a inch or so thick bed of top soil with some additional lawn fertiliser we bought from the turf company. However, I've not given it any since then.

Thanks, J

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On Sep 25, 1:53*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
jacs_bill wrote:
Hi,

Bit a of a newbie gardener. I laid a lawn in july, it looked great
when first down and the strips seemed to knit together pretty
quickly. I was giving it plenty of water a left it several weeks
before cutting. Since then I've not been cutting it too short and
have gving it water if it hasn't rained for a few days.

Anyway, the grass seems to be getting weaker, becoming brown in
patches and if you grasp it it rips out really easily. Also, it's a
small space and FULL of worms casts, which just seem to be killing
off patches. It's also under an apple tree and a fair few leaves and
apples fall on it, but I have been raking them off regularly too.

What am I doing wrong Any advice appreciated - woud like the lawn
to last longer than a few months!

Maybe watering too often, which can result in a shallow root structure. If you
give it more time between waterings, the roots will grow deeper to reach water.
Watering more at a time and less often is better, but you have to made a smooth
transition to give the roots time to grow.

Or, you could have a problem with grubs or other pests.- Hide quoted text -

Or one of the many diseases. It's virtually impossible to
diagnose problems remotely, without even a picture or complete
information on the soil characteristics, how the soil was prepared and
exactly what has been done to it since.

Assuming this is the UK, giving it some fertilizer if none has been
applied in the last 6 weeks or so would be a good idea.

Your best bet might be to lift a section of turf that shows the
problem and a good adjacent section and bring it to wherever
you got the sod from. Or a good lawn/garden center in your area. Ask
them what they think the problem is.