Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
UrbanPlanting UrbanPlanting is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
3m is considered small for a tree, not tall. Tall is more like 15m. The main problem with trees is finding ones that only grow 3m. Stuff that grows fast rarely stops at 3m.

If you want something that grows fairly fast and will reliable stop at about 3m, I would suggest buying a bamboo called Fargesia murieliae "Simba". It is a true clumping bamboo so it won't be invasive.

TV gardening programmes have given the idea of the instant garden. The reality is that plants start small and get bigger, and then carry on getting bigger, so you need to plan for longer term development, otherwise it is easy to end up with an unmanageable jungle.
Good point. Does that bamboo grow in the UK climate? Any other suggestions for a fast growing tree that perhaps will reach a maximum of 5m or so? I aim to plant around 5 meters from the wall of the house will that be ok?
Container Gardening Sky Planter