Old 20-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Martin

Default Elodea, Egeria densa and Anacharis

I'm not sure what it is - but if I had to put any money on it - I would say
it looks like Heteranthera Zosterifolia....I guess its the dark green
blurred one in the foreground. Egeria is just, normally, denser...

However...shame I can't take the credit for the next section.......sorry but
it's lifted from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTk...dex/elodea.htm

What's in a name? Plenty. In the case of discussing the plants here, the
common name "anacharis" used to be a valid genus name for some of these
plants; and is a moniker still often used. The correct scientific name for
most species of "anacharis" is Elodea ("Ell-oh-dee-ah"). Egeria is another
recent (1961) erected genus for a similar plant (the one of most interest to
aquarists) that produces 2 to 4 flowers (Elodea only 1), that have large and
deeply white petals (versus small and colorless), and are pollinated by
insects (elodeas is done via water).

Elodea and Egeria are members of the aquarium-important frog's-bit family
(Hydrocharitaceae). They're joined there by such notable plant genera as
Blyxa, Hydrilla, Lagarosiphon, Limnobium, Ottelia, Vallisneria, et al..

Martin

"Aqua" wrote in message

Elodea, Egeria densa and Anacharis - Are all these same. I have a plant
(http://www.dlink.org/aqua/image/egeria_densa.jpg). Is it really Egeria
densa?

Sorry picture may not clear.
--