Old 16-10-2011, 02:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn issues

On Oct 15, 1:37*am, Terry Nicholson Terry.Nicholson.
wrote:
jacs_bill;937603 Wrote:

Hi,

Bit a of a newbie gardener. I laid a lawn in july, it looked great when
first down and the strips seemed to knit together pretty quickly. I was
giving it plenty of water a left it several weeks before cutting. Since
then I've not been cutting it too short and have gving it water if it
hasn't rained for a few days.

Anyway, the grass seems to be getting weaker, becoming brown in patches
and if you grasp it it rips out really easily. Also, it's a small space
and FULL of worms casts, which just seem to be killing off patches. It's
also under an apple tree and a fair few leaves and apples fall on it,
but I have been raking them off regularly too.

What am I doing wrong Any advice appreciated - woud like the lawn to
last longer than a few months!

Hi Jacs_Bill

You may have a few of issues here and as has been said before it is very
difficult diagnose the exact issue without inspection.

1. You may have watered to much initially resulting in shallow rooting,
you need to "starve the roots a little" so that they need to grow deeper
to get to the water.

2. The fertiliser you applied before laying the turf needed to be a
pre-turfing fertiliser, if not and it was a ordinary lawn fertiliser and
it was applied to heavily this could have caused areas to die back.

The lawn was put down 3 months ago. Any issue with the
fertilizer used would have occured back then, when he said
the lawn was doing fine.

However hindsight is a wonderful thing and as you cannot go back lets
look at what you can do now:-

3. Have you got a grub issue?
There is a possibility that you have had or still got a few chafer grubs
or leather jackets in the lawn, there insects eat the roots of the grass
causing it to die. you can test if this is the case by grabbing the
grass and lifting it. If it moves away from the soil easily it is a good
sign that the root structure has been attracted. But then you need to
visibly identify the insect in order to be sure this is the cause, you
will find further info about these two blighter's at:

It takes a lot more than a few grubs to kill a lawn. A few per
square foot are normal. If he has a dozen, then yes that's
a possibility.

'Lawn*Pests | Lawnscience' (http://tinyurl.com/6fpk3jv)

4. Fertilisation
You need to fertilise the lawn. Use a Autumn fertiliser, which should be
rich in POTASSIUM as this will help to develop the roots over the
Autumn/winter period. A good example would be Rigby Taylor's Bioplex
3:1:21, you can order it online at:

'Bioplex 3:1:12 Fine Turf Fertilizer and Biostimulant - Rigby Taylor' (http://tinyurl.com/6e2xnax)

I agree a Fall fertilizer should be higher in potassium. But the lawn
needs
nitrogen too to stimulate growth and the above product is totally
inadequate
in that regard. Unless he wants to put down multiple products, I'd
use
something like 24-3-12, which is typical for a Fall fertilizer
product.

5. Worms
Worms are great for lawns as they help keep the soil in good condition,
but they can cause issues when the cast of the surface, this can be
prevented by using a chemical treatment, but you would only get this
done by a qualified *lawn technitian, see my last article 'Worms, moles
and your*lawn | News | Lawnscience' (http://tinyurl.com/65yurnr).

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone recommending
spraying chemicals around to kill earthworms. In fact, everyone
else is concerned about using pesticides to kill other insects
because one of the problems is that those pesticides also
kill earth worms. You think earthworms are killing this
guys lawn?

6. Finally if the lawn is dying off on patches now is a great time to
repair by "patching in" turf, but don't leave it too late get it done
now.

If I can give any furtehr help give me a call 01908 504664 or visit
'Lawn treatment and services by Lawnscience. Lawn maintenance and care.'
(http://www.lawnscience.co.uk)

regards

Terry

--