Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Karen Fletcher

Default power tiller: to get or not to get one

Rojo2G wrote:
: I have a bias toward simple things, but I figure at some point
: doing things by hand is just too much.
:
: Please, shower me with your opinions!

I would second (or fifth?) recommendations of a small tiller. I got the
tiller from Gardener's Supply (I think it's a Gardener's Supply label on a
Troybilt but I'm not 100% sure) and the thing is fabulous. It tackles
even sod with such tireless determination that I call it my Jack Russell
tiller ;-)

It only weighs about 20 lbs which means I pull it out for lots of small
jobs when I might not want to lug out a bigger tiller. It does everything
I need it to do -- digging holes for planting trees, shrubs, perennials,
weeding, expanding my prairie patch or perennial beds, even running
through my composted horse manure to pretty it up. It's very versatile.
I probably use it a couple times a week during the green season.

At around $300 it's not cheap, but it's a long-term investment and a great
time- and back-saver.

-- Karen

The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
^and cats -- Cicero
On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002