Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
adavisus adavisus is offline
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Wood View Post
Downsizing from our big 5-bedroom house to one without stairs and lots
of grass. One we are looking at has a largish (20'x12')"koi" pond with
waterfall. Looks professionally made and was operating yesterday. The
water was a very dark green and opaque and I couldn't see the bottom.
Since I am now 70 (good health) but with a cranky knee, am I asking for
trouble? I have yearned for a pond for a number of years, but since
this move is mostly motivated by the desire for less maintenance and
physical labor, I'm worried.

I live in the Phoenix area so cold is not the problem, heat is. The
entire pond is covered by a lanai with sun screening.

Chip
Oh I doubt you might need to raise your pace above a leisurely dawdle, to keep up with a koi pond. The exercise might be good, even

Some knee pads, a variety of convenient tools on long poles will cut down on the stooping chores. Something to snip and pick off weeds, a hooky tool to tug plants or tubs.

A deck chair might be compulsory, for those days when you would rather bring down your blood pressure

Regards, andy
Flickr: adavisus' Photostream
Pond and water gardening aquatic plants |