Old 14-11-2011, 11:53 PM
uriel13 uriel13 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStevenson View Post
I was advised that coal ash and BBQ briquettes should not be composted, so I keep them out of my compost bin.

Also what I've found important is to find the best location for my bin. I was told that a compost bin should be placed in a moderately shady area in order to help with the breaking down process. For this reason, I have placed my compost bin near the garden shed or near the back of the property.

Also I've found that no matter where the bin is placed, it is imperative to anchor it, possibly using the ground, garden sheds or trees in order to prevent anything from tipping the bin and causing a mess.
Hi Dave,

As you say coal ash and BBQ briquettes should not be used the former has nasty residual chemicals and the latter has ignition accelerants added.

I keep my compost bins in a relatively sunny position and water as required, I find that the heat within the bin speeds up the breakdown of vegetable waste and also increases the activity of the bacteria within the bins.

Also when watering said bins I use a dilution of EM's.

However its what works best for you, I'm in a zone 6 to 8 environment and the sun rarely gets too hot. As to securing the bins I have drilled 4 holes about 3 inches from the bottom and inserted bamboo canes, in my case it is to protect against winter gales.

the mind is like a parachute, its totally useless unless open.