Old 30-11-2011, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Eliminating zoysia without chemicals

ZoysiaSod wrote the following:
wrote:
Another consideration is if you have neighbors
who's lawns are contiguous with yours, zoysia will
invade it and take over. It's like planting bamboo.
By choosing it you're forcing it on someone else who
may not like it.

=====

I understand your point about zoysia invading a neighbor's
lawn, and I wouldn't want to interfere with my neighbor's
choice of grass. But I would think if a neighbor really
doesn't care for
zoysia, they could always pull the zoysia before the grass
gets more than a foot into their lawn.

Aren't you the nice neighbor. Your grass invades his lawn and HE is
supposed to work to stop it?
Better you put some sort of physical barrier one foot in from the
property line on your side to prevent the rhizomes from invading his
lawn. The barrier will have to be buried deep enough to reach below the
depth of the rhizomes.

Unlike
fast-spreading Bermuda, Zoysia doesn't spread more than
probably 8 to 12 inches a year.

Lots of folks love zoysia. It's gorgeous in spring and
summer :-)

My neighbor loves henbit--well, not really, but you'd think
he loves henbit because his backyard is nothing but
henbit and crabgrass [Lol]. Henbit can make inroads into
zoysia, I think. I've been pulling his henbit from my zoysia
whenever the henbit encroaches. I was outside today in
cold weather doing just that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY