Old 20-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Tasslehoff

Default Black brush algae from hell

You could also try a few SAE's which are known to eat this algae. Your GH
is waaay too low, try using calcium carbonate or other such source, iron
levels are also too low for keeping plants. If all else fails, look for
Azoo BBA killer which may have rid my tank of this ugly algae after 8 days(2
days treatment left of 14 days), be sure to follow the directions carefully
(less feeding/frequent water changes) as it kills your biofilter but if
you've got heaps of plants already it's not too much of a problem.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
How much light do you have over this tank?

ph 7.2
KH: ~3

That's not a lot of CO2. If algae takes off whenever you fertilize, I

suspect
your tank is CO2-limited. Try to add enough CO2 to get your pH down to

6.6.

I wouldn't worry about the phosphate. I've got tons more phosphate than

you.
(40ppm in my tapwater!) There was a little bit of BBA when I first set up

the
tank, but it soon vanished.

IME, when you set up a tank (or re-set up a tank), it's normal to

experience
algae outbreaks. Don't panic, and don't overreact. The plants need time

get established and start growing well. Don't be afraid to fertilize. It

may
take time, but if you give the plants everything they need, the algae will

go
away.

Leigh