Old 17-12-2011, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default No dig gardening

In article ,
says...

http://www.no-dig-gardening.org/no-dig-gardening-guide

It says no dig but

- you have to collect cardboard
- you have to mow lots of lawns
- you have to aquire soil/compost mix from somewhere
- you have to find some straw

It all needs sourcing and bringing to the location - so whilst it may
be different work from the hard work of breaking ground digging it is
still effort!

I've done both and IME cardboard/mulching/collecting is far quicker and
easier than digging new beds.

I call a local white-goods supplier and ask them for a stack of their
largest cardboard containers; they will happily supply a car full,
flattened, free to collect before the bin men arrive to take them.

As for compost and mulch material there is a limitless supply for modest
effort and minimal cost.

For years while making the garden I had two lawn contractors and three
neighbours delivering all their lawnmowings. (free. Contractors here have
to pay to dispose of garden rubbish). I use some of it as mulch and the
rest to fuel 3 large compost heaps and 3 daleks.I still take all the
neighbours' grasscuttings.

The adjacent farm pasture used to be thistle infested (great compost
material) and the shepherd is happy for me to harvest them before
flowering; unfortunately over years I've almost eliminated the crop.
Same shepherd is happy for me to sweep and bag the wool dags and dung from
shed floor after sheep shearing; saves him doing it and its only 2 minutes
away in the car. More great compost material.

Our car holds 27 full big plastic sacks. A local horse charity (RDA)
collects all their horses dung into sacks and asks people to take them
away. Once a year I fill the car and give them a donation. Some for bed
mulch, some to fuel compost heaps. Once or twice a year, after the right
kind of storm, I take the sacks to the right beach, and fill them with
fresh seaweed. Some for bed mulch, some to fuel compost heaps.

In the past I've begged leaves (already swept from parks by council
workers); bales of spoiled straw free from stockfarmer who would otherwise
have thrown it out, and several acres of lush nettles whose owner was only
too glad to have me harvest them.

Janet.