Old 22-12-2011, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default I have been given an olive tree

"Jim S" wrote in message
The website I looked at suggested that they olives are hardy at least down
to -12C,
It is a year or two old from the pictures on the site (2 ft tall).
I am in Tyneside a couple of miles from the sea and it gets below
freezing,
but only to -10C in a very extreme year.
Do I plant it in the ground or keep it in a tub?
Other helpful tips would be appreciated.

Tub should be fine - olives are quite hardy.
Probably quite a big tub so there is less chance of a quick freeze getting
to the roots.
Warmer here (coastal Suffolk) but our olive is out all year and seems fine.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)