Old 22-12-2011, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have been given an olive tree

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:

Tub should be fine - olives are quite hardy.
Probably quite a big tub so there is less chance of a quick freeze getting
to the roots.
Warmer here (coastal Suffolk) but our olive is out all year and seems fine.

Like all of those plants, they hate waterlogging, which kills more
than frost. I don't know exactly how hardy they are, but my guess
is that you will need to stop the tub from freezing - in Cambridge,
that would mean moving it into a building, at least.

I lost my pomegranate last winter, but my feijoa survived without
trouble. Both were outside in pots, and had survived the pots
freezing before.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.