Old 28-11-2011, 04:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Willi Willi is offline

Default Elephant Hawk-Moth (caterpillar-nymph-moth)

Am 27.11.2011 22:35, schrieb joevan:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:01:39 +0100, wrote:

I found this caterpillar last year (Sep 4th, picture above) in my
garden. When I did some digging in May this year I found the nymph (May
10th, picture left) about 3 meters from where I had seen the
caterpillar. According to advices over the internet, I kept the nymph in
a glass inside the house. The full butterfly evolved on June 10th. I was
surprised by its beauty. I had leaned some sticks into the glass before,
so that it could climb up. It rested on the hazel-stick the whole day
and flew away at night.

G Willi

If you want, here are some more photos:
http://members.aon.at/supervague/ivi...schwaermer.jpg
http://members.aon.at/supervague/ivi...hwaermer_4.jpg
http://members.aon.at/supervague/ivi...hwaermer_7.jpg

Pretty in Pink. and green.
Well done.

Thanks. I've found 2 other nymphs recently. - They're currently sleeping
peacefully in the very same glass vessel. I hope to get some nice shots
again in spring.