Old 28-08-2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Yellowing hyacinths

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:39:54 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

After a great start, my hyacinths are going yellow. They live in my
berm pond. In previous years, they have thrived and grown to 18".
This year they covered the 4 x 8 pond and stopped at 4". Then they
turned yellow.

My observations:
1. I have water lettuce in the other berm pond. It grew to cover the
pond and is 5" deep. Maybe the hyacinth can't compete.
2. My pond water is perfectly clear this year (and the usuao tea
color). That is unusual and suggests little nutrition for the stuff
that used to clog it.
3. The water lettuce has also grown little this year.
4. I tossed some of the hyacinth in my shallow pond below the falls.
The pond has muck in the bottom. The hyacinth turned dark green.
5. I put some of the green hyacinth back into the berm pond. It
yellowed.

Conclusion: Low to no nutrients in the water or the hyacinth can't
compete with the lettuce.

Other ideas?

Yellowing WH often means clean water. When I had more fish I could grow
them in the top of the pre-filter, not any more... even the water cress
that is free floating in a basket is anemic, yet is grows green and great
where its roots are in contact with soil on the sides of the pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us