Old 22-12-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default I have been given an olive tree

On 2011-12-21 22:39:26 +0000, Jim S said:

The website I looked at suggested that they olives are hardy at least down
to -12C,
It is a year or two old from the pictures on the site (2 ft tall).
I am in Tyneside a couple of miles from the sea and it gets below freezing,
but only to -10C in a very extreme year.
Do I plant it in the ground or keep it in a tub?
Other helpful tips would be appreciated.

If you decide to keep it in a tub, make sure the tub has holes drilled
in it and that it is raised up off the ground. *If it's a very young
tree and you are worried about it, put some horticultural fleece around
it. *But it's in much more danger from waterlogging with trapped rain
or snow melt.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I'd say if yoiu can give it ptrotection this first winter, you don't
know if it's been outside, or has been inside or even shiped up from
Italy in the last few weeks.
Won't need heat but just protection from heavy frosts, then put it out
full time in the spring.
If you can find out if it's been outside all autumn in the UK it would
be easier.