Old 30-12-2011, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default The Christmas Kooka

PhoenixWench wrote:

Come visit, by all means! In summer I have 30 hummingbird feeders, and
at twilight when they are betting finished for the day they come to my
place for a nightcap - sometimes over 100 at a time ;-) The wings sound
like someone kicked over a bee hive and the chirping is supersonic!!!!

I can't imagine what that must be like! ;D

Plus we have regular grey squirrels, occasional black ones, little reds
and the ubiquitous chipmunks.

I did see a pair of Pileated woodpeckers doing their mating dance around
a tree trunk once, but my suet feeders are more likely to attract red
headed, red bellied, downy and hairy woodpeckers.

I've seen a great horned owl, some sort of very small white owl, and
heard many unidentified others. Of couse we also get bald eagles in the
area - gorgeous!

As for grackles and cardinals - they visit my feeding stations, along
with chickadees, tufted titmouses (titmice?) red winged blackbirds, and
legions of starlings ;-)

Hah! See? You've got your own line of 'exotic'. We have Starlings too,
but the more recently introduced Indian Mynas have driven most of them away.

I have a little motel, so if you ever do decide to visit I think I can
accommodate you ;-)

If only...! ;D

These pages have some pix you might enjoy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/page4/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phoenixwench/page11/

Oh YES! Wonderful video of the hummingbirds and I really enjoyed
checking out your other pics as well. Thanks for sharing!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia