Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Composting

The hardest ingredient to find is a wife who doesn't control
the purse strings. I'll not marry again - training wifes is
too difficult.

Inspite of reading a lot of material on Bokashi, It's still
not clear to me how to make the stuff. I found someone selling
Bokashi Bran. But they say you have to ferment it yourself
before putting it into the compost. Do you really need a
special type of bran?

Dick

Bran can be anything wheat, rice, barley, oats you can also use untreated
sawdust (not treated with CCA) or newspaper. The lactobacillus culture is
not hard to do. I have just made a batch with newspaper but it is fermenting
at the moment and they say it needs 12 days after which you need to dry it
out before using in the buckets. Here is a link I found while searching the
web you might find it helps you
http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.co...paper-bokashi/ and it a
cheap way of doing things. This is classed as a homegrade bokashi and from
what I can see from other sites is lacking some beneficial microbes. I am
still learning myself.

You may see someone say you are a troll in the group as it is an Australian
Newsgroup not Austin Texas as you may think. Glad you asked anyway. Seems
this information is closely guarded by those that make it as it is a source
of income to them but that depends where you are. Imagine that you can buy a
bokashi bucket from councils in New Zealand for $20 with bokashi bran
included yet in Australia you pay around $100. The result of this is people
in Australia ignore the extorsion and it doesn't get off the ground as it
should. The Australian supplier has books but wants close to $50 each yet
the American supplier charges $25 each for the same books. Yet the American
supplier won't send here due to the Australian supplier having exclusive
rights here. The world is truly mad but I guess the Australian supplier
prefers to make more but sell less which is up to them.