Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dick Adams[_2_] Dick Adams[_2_] is offline

Default Composting

Loosecanon wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:

The hardest ingredient to find is a wife who doesn't control
the purse strings. I'll not marry again - training wifes is
too difficult.

In spite of reading a lot of material on Bokashi, It's still
not clear to me how to make the stuff. I found someone selling
Bokashi Bran. But they say you have to ferment it yourself
before putting it into the compost. Do you really need a
special type of bran?

Bran can be anything wheat, rice, barley, oats you can also use
untreated sawdust (not treated with CCA) or newspaper. The
lactobacillus culture is not hard to do. I have just made a batch with
newspaper but it is fermenting at the moment and they say it needs
12 days after which you need to dry it out before using in the buckets.
Here is a link I found while searching the web you might find it helps
you http://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.co...spaper-bokashi
and it a cheap way of doing things. This is classed as a homegrade
bokashi and from what I can see from other sites is lacking some
beneficial microbes. I am still learning myself.

That link provided an exceptionally clear explanation and I thank you.

You may see someone say you are a troll in the group as it is an
Australian Newsgroup not Austin Texas as you may think.

I knew it was an Australian newsgroup. The comment didn't bother me as
I wasn't trolling. The Internet is here to make information global and
I'm always searching for new sources of information as well as new ways
of looking at information.

Glad you asked anyway. Seems this information is closely guarded by those
that make it as it is a source of income to them but that depends where you
are. Imagine that you can buy a bokashi bucket from councils in New Zealand
for $20 with bokashi bran included yet in Australia you pay around $100.
The result of this is people in Australia ignore the extortion and it

doesn't get off the ground as it should. The Australian supplier has books
but wants close to $50 each yet the American supplier charges $25 each for
the same books. Yet the American supplier won't send here due to the
Australian supplier having exclusive rights here. The world is truly mad
but I guess the Australian supplier prefers to make more but sell less
which is up to them.

It's a shame. But nobody said life would be fair.

Dick