Old 17-01-2012, 08:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Parsley

"Peter Costigan" wrote in message
eb.com...
We have had a row of parsley which were quite large start to rot off at
the crown. The roots look good, but the crown goes mushy. The first sign
is yellowing of the leaves and then the whole plant collapses within a day
or two. Over a few weeks a row of about 20 plants have gone.

Any clues? We are in the Southern Highlands NSW.

thanks,
Pete

How old are the plants? Summer usually makes them bolt to seed in the second
year and crowns will go off then. Mine that I grew from seed and planted 6
months ago are a mass of green leaves. They have not developed a parsnip
coloured trunk if that is what you mean by crown. 2 years is old for a
parsley and summer is the harshest time for them.

If they are young plants then I'd be thinking a fungal problem or something
like carrot fly (not sure it is in Aus) being the cause.

I found this handbook on Parsley
http://www.vgavic.org.au/research_an...e_handbook.htm