Old 27-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Andrew Burgess

Default electric fencing for ponds

ESPMER (K30a) writes:

I don't suppose you are willing to be a test subject? ;-) Me neither!

_I_ have been a (usually accidental) test subject for my
garden electric fence many times ;-) Not willing to use it
on my fish though...

It looked pretty sturdy but I can see your fear as the pond owner might not be
as adept at putting it together.

These things just happen, a raccoon grabs it and gets
shocked and pulls the whole thing down trying to let go.

Would it just short out if it fell in the water?

Thats the problem. Current flows from the hot wire to
ground. I've heard of ponds that aren't sufficiently
grounded to set off a GFCI protector so maybe nothing would
happen. If the pond is grounded and the fish is in the
current path he feels the shock.

But then it would short out if the sprinkler or rain hit it?

My fence does not. Wet plants have an effect.

(You'd never know I've been married 23 years to an electrical engineer....)

Aren't we just the best partners? Tell your single
friends...