Old 20-04-2003, 01:08 PM

Default Norfolk Island Pine

We visited New Zealand earlier this year. The Norfolk Island Pine is well
established as an ornamemental tree/shrub in North Island, and I saw one
growing as far south as Te Anau in South Island.
We live in South Devon with a south facing garden, slope 1 in 6 to 1 in 10.
Jen and I were very taken by the appearance of this tree-symetric branches
like cut paper patterns.
Best information suggests that it is a no/no in the UK and that it is rarely
grown in the US.
I know that on Norfolk Island (29deg.S 50ins of rain a year) it can grow to
200ft high, 10ft diameter. Has anyone experience of it as a house or patio
plan, or even outdoors in the UK?
Regards
David T