Old 27-01-2012, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Government scheme could benifit you?

"kay" wrote in message

'Dave Liquorice[_3_ Wrote:
;948440']

This Green Deal is also a "spread the cost" scheme rather than a
grant. The savings made by improved insulation should offset the
increase in bills, in theory. No a very big or nice looking carrot
IMHO. Why bother with it if there is no nett saving?

As I understand it, you get "free" insulation, but all the reductions in
fuel bills as a result of the insulation are channeled off to pay the
for the insulation.

The loan for the insulation is against the house, not against you, so if
you sell the property, then the new owner's fuel savings are still being
channeled away to pay the outstanding loan on the insulation.

Presumably at some time in the future, the insulation will be paid for
and some future owner of the house will start getting the benefit of the
fuel savings.

You would also want to take a good look at restrictions on who can do
the work. The laudable aim to make sure the work is done to good
standards sometimes means that you're tied to large national firms and
you can't use the local firm who you know and trust.

I've seen some suggestion that future payments for people to instal
solar panels will only be given if the house has already been insulated
to approved standards.

--
kay

Not sure what the name of the scheme is but EDF have just installed 10" of
insulation on top of what we had for free, no strings attached, most
impressed as I didn't have to do it! and we don't even buy our electricity
from them.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs