Old 28-01-2012, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Sean Straw Sean Straw is offline

Default The season starts.

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 19:09:24 -0500, The Cook
wrote:

Today I sowed seeds for 72 Granex onions, 36 Red Burgundy onions and
36 shallots.

Sounds like you don't use a lot of onions. That sounds like about
enough to perhaps stretch a bit into two months. Do you grow any
garlic?

The broccoli and cabbage I am going to start about 3 of each about
every 3 weeks so I don't have so much that it rots.

Perhaps with the Broccoli, but if you like cabbage, you need more than
that. It's wonderful sliced thickly, drizzled with some quality
balsamic vinegar and olive oil and roasted in the oven. Many
vegetables are awesome that way in fact.

Plan to succession sow the beets as well.

broccoli in the freezer and DH doesn't like it when it cooks. Guess I
start looking for recipes for broccoli soup.

Yum. When you harvest the Broccoli, cut it an inch or two below the
main crown, and leave the plant to continue developing - it'll churn
out florets all season. I love them fresh, no cooking necessary,
though if cooked, it's got to be just a light steaming (enough to make
warm, but not soggy). Serve with butter or vinegar.