Old 20-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Sacha

Default Norfolk Island Pine

in article , at
wrote on 20/4/03 11:17 am:

We visited New Zealand earlier this year. The Norfolk Island Pine is well
established as an ornamemental tree/shrub in North Island, and I saw one
growing as far south as Te Anau in South Island.
We live in South Devon with a south facing garden, slope 1 in 6 to 1 in 10.
Jen and I were very taken by the appearance of this tree-symetric branches
like cut paper patterns.
Best information suggests that it is a no/no in the UK and that it is rarely
grown in the US.
I know that on Norfolk Island (29deg.S 50ins of rain a year) it can grow to
200ft high, 10ft diameter. Has anyone experience of it as a house or patio
plan, or even outdoors in the UK?

Ray thinks you'd be *very* lucky to have it survive. We're also in S.
Devon, between Totnes and Ashburton and being close to the moor can get some
sharp frosts. But he's doubtful that even near the sea, you would be lucky
in the long-term. I know someone living in Philadelphia who treats her as a
house plant - their summers are hot, their winters harsh! When she was
having trouble with hers looking a bit sick, we discovered that she was not
only over-watering it, she was 'nurturing' it by standing it near the hot
air vent.....
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk