Old 30-01-2012, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Egg shells as plant food

On Jan 30, 10:11*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 1/30/12 4:13 AM, songbird wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:

Amigas & amigos, years ago I read that eggshell water is good for
plants. *I don't remember more. *I kept the container on the side
steps. *NEVER smelled anything like the odor emanating from the water-
immersed egg shells.

Now I started saving them again, but before I concoct yet another
witches brew, could I sample the NG as to the usefulness/efficacy of
this project? *If yes, *then on which plants and how often.

* for me recycling eggshells wasn't worth
the added expense. *a bag of agricultural
lime ran about $6.50 for 50lbs. *at the
rate i use it that should keep me a good
20 years or so.

* songbird

You live where the soil is acidic. *I live where both the soil and water
are alkaline.

No, it was originally alkaline; good old California adobe. However,
it has been modified over many decades by the previous owner and
myself, so it's pretty well balanced by now.

HB

At least once each year, I broadcast soil sulfur around certain plants
such as camellias, roses, a liquidambar tree, an Australian tea tree,
and a gardenia. *On the other hand, my bearded iris, primroses, and
cheddar pinks (dianthus) thrive with the alkalinity. *Agricultural lime
is hard to find in my area.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean, see