Old 31-01-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default B&Q "Path and Patio" weedkiller

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 11:22:30 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

I bought a gallon of B&Q "Path and Patio" weedkiller, which is sprayed onto
each weed. I assumed that what I was buying would be the same substance as
Pathclear, except with the B&Q brand name, at a slightly lower price. I've
never used Pathclear so I cannot compare the two products. However, I was
dismayed at how almost totally ineffective the B&Q stuff was. I copiously
sprayed a lot of weeds on a dry day. A week later, all the weeds are still
alive!

In midwinter. Is there a recommended outdoor temperature for it to be
effective?

Janet

I have no experience of the B&Q product, but some general principles

AFAIK, most weedkillers are not effective below 10-12C. Plus the
foliar (systemic) types need the weed to be actively growing - it can
be green but not that active at this time of year and so it won't suck
the weedkiller in through the leaves as well as when it's less sleepy.

I think the residual types like Pathclear work on existing growth in
the same way as glyphosate based ones but with the added barrier
effect to stop new weeds growing for a while (or more appropriately
slow that growth down a bit!). So I'd guess that the same minimum
temperature/active growth requirements would apply to what's already
there.

I don't think of using any weedkiller until at least mid March and I
don't use any residual type at all.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.