Old 31-01-2012, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default B&Q "Path and Patio" weedkiller

On Jan 31, 2:34*pm, Baz wrote:
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

On 31 Jan 2012 12:58:28 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
news:rqnfi7hmvf7pkt4tdss7umkqr9rlj8iknn@ 4ax.com:

I don't think of using any weedkiller until at least mid March and I
don't use any residual type at all.

Thanks for your helpful feedback. I will follow your advice and try
again in March. The B&Q stuff claims to leave no residue in the soil.

Al

I've checked the B&Q web site and what it calls its Path and Patio
product is totally different to Pathclear (which isn't glyophosate
based). The B&Q one is simply ready-diluted glyphosate so will only
kill what's already growing. Pathclear, on the other hand, is supposed
to (I say supposed to because anyone I've ever spoken to says it
doesn't really) leave a barrier to stop anything sprouting later from
seed.

FWIW you will usually save money by buying Glyphosate concentrate
(Bayer have both liquid and granular versions for example) rather than
ready-diluted versions. It's the same principle as the price of car
screen wash concentrate compared to a gallon of ready mixed stuff.

Remember that glyphosate works by getting right through the plant down
to the roots and killing those as well. This won't happen overnight so
you need to allow time for the weeds to die. You can speed things up a
bit by spraying in the morning of what will be a sunny, dry day. And
don't be too hasty removing wilting growth - the weedkiller will still
be working its way down and you don't want to cut it off before it
gets there.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.

Can I put a pennys worth here.
At this time of year most weeds will have seeds on them if they have not
already blown off(to grow elsewhere), so it is important to remove them
if you can before treating them.
As far as I am aware weedkillers only kill the weed, not the seed.
So when the weeds regrow from their seed it is only too easy to hoe the
young things where and when they show their ugly mugs, and keep on doing
it.
Of course if you have a really big garden it can be a big problem.

What I am getting at is don't let them seed again, or at least prevent
them. See young weeds, hoe them out.

Baz- Hide quoted text -

What you must remember, they work on GROWING plants, not plants that
have grown and are now dormant.
In good growing conditions it can be a couple of weeks before you see
any efects from spraying, at ths time of year it could be 4 or 5 weeks.