Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Fvert Fvert is offline

Default compost and eggshells

I compost most kitchen scraps except for dairy, meat and fats. For a
long time I would include eggshells. I would try to break the shells
into smaller pieces either in the kitchen or once in the compost pile. I
seldom turn my compost except when harvesting some so it is slow not
fast. The egg shells don't seem to break down at all so I have stopped
adding them. USA Zone 7 A/B (right on the border in NC) if it matters.

QUESTIONS:
- Am I missing much by no longer adding the shells to the value of the
general compost?
- I have always planted above ground crops so far in my very small
raised bed garden. If I plant things like carrots, onions or potatoes is
there a chance small bits of egg shells in the soil will embed
themselves in the vegetables?
- any value in segregating egg shells into their own compost pile and if
so where would it best be used?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Brian